We are always looking for new volunteers to join, participate and enhance our
organizations. The organizations that run the Middlesex Fire Department don't
accomplish things on their own. The organizations depend on the talent and life
experience of all of our members. Won't you join us?
For an Application and More Information Call:
Thomas Mahaney, Vice President - (585) 737-9093
David T Harrington, 1st Assistant Chief - (585)
Joining the Middlesex Hose Company
What Can I Do?
In your quest for membership with our organization you will have many choices to
make about what kind of member you want to be. Some people don't want any part
of the emergency response side of our organization - that's OK. There are plenty
of other tasks that need to be accomplished including fund raising and
administrative tasks. We have many social members that find all kinds of ways to
Want to be a firefighter or medical responder? Then the emergency
response side of the organization is for you. You also will have a lot of
latitude in deciding what kinds of tasks you complete on the fire ground.
Only want to operate trucks? Only want to respond to medical calls? Don't
want to respond to any medical calls? Don't want to climb ladders? Don't want to
go inside a burning house? Don't know where your comfort level is?
That's all OK - the officers and senior members can work with you to find your
place and level of risk that you are comfortable with.
Becoming a Member
The Middlesex Hose Company is governed by a Constitution and By-Laws - this
document outlines the organizational structure; including attainment of
membership. A person must be 16 years of age or older to apply. A person may
apply as an Active Class 1 member (a firefighter), an active Class 5 member (a
medical responder) or an Active Class 2 member (a social member.)
To become a member of any class an applicant must:
- Complete an Application for Membership.
- Have a Medical Physical Form completed by a physician. (Costs for the
physical are borne by the Middlesex Fire District.)
- Submit the above Application for Membership, Physical Form and $3.00
After the above has been completed by the perspective member
the organization will:
- Submit applicants name for a criminal record check for arson convictions.
- Schedule an interview with the applicant by the Investigation Committee.
- The Investigation Committee will submit the application to the membership
at large for consideration and review at the next monthly
- The membership will vote on the submitted application the following
- If the application is dis-approved the applicant will receive a letter
stating such and the $3.00 dues will be returned.
- If the application is approved the applicant will receive a membership
I'm a member now what?
If the application was for Active Class 2 membership (social
member) the process stops here. You are welcome to participate in all the social
activities, fund raisers, and monthly meetings of our organization.
Firefighters / Medical Responders
If the application was for Active Class 1 membership (firefighter) or Active Class 5 (medical responders) then the applicant must
- Complete a basic firefighting class (for Active Class 1 members) - the
current minimum training is "Scene Support and Operations" - these classes are
scheduled regularly at fire stations in and around Yates County.
- Compete a medical responder class (for Active Class 5 members) - the
current minimum training is "Certified First Responder" - these classes are
scheduled regularly at fire and ambulance stations in and around Yates County.
- This basic training must be completed before the member may respond to
- Attend at least 1 firematic drill each quarter, held every Monday night at
the firehouse at 7pm.
- As a newly trained firefighter shows interest and accepts responsibilities
the fire chief may choose to issue the member a pager and other gear.
As a new Active Class 1 or Active Class 5 member applicants
are strongly encouraged, but not required to:
- Take more classes - these classes are scheduled regularly at fire stations
in and around Yates County. The Middlesex Fire Department has at least one of
these classes a year held at our fire station. The following is a
partial list of these classes:
- Firefighter I
- Firefighter II
- Certified First Responder
- Emergency Medical Technician
- SCBA Confidence
- Apparatus Operator - Driver
- Apparatus Operator - Pump
- Fire Behavior and Arson Awareness
- Auto Extrication
- School Bus Rescue
- Aircraft Fire / Rescue
- Hazardous Materials
- Ice / Cold Water Rescue
- Fire Police
- Basic Wildland Fire Suppression
- Wildland Search and Rescue
- Fire Officer
- Firefighter Survival
- Smoke Divers
- Water Supply Operations